A couple of weekends ago I went to one of the very few weekends that my wife and I have together every year… and both Emma I are really blessed to have family who allow us do this one thing every year.
Now it’s not a romantic getaway in a house over looking the sea… and it’s not even time getting spa treatments… It is however one of the most important times of our year, and if at all possible we wouldn’t miss it.
It’s our CM (Creative Ministries) retreat.
This is the time when all our creative types… from musicians, to artists, to song leaders and songwriters within our church go and refocus… a time to add to the creative way we do corporate worship in church. Where we as a creative group can go and really seek God. Specifically it is a great start to the year and sets the tone (no pun intended) for the rest of the year.
This year, God was there in a real tangible way and some people were able to ‘do business’ with him in areas that were left un-dealt with.
God touched me in a real way… but there wasn’t a sense of ‘doing business’ it was a real feeling his presence type thing.
After a time of ministry I went to my room to finish a book I was one chapter off finishing (The Circle Maker, by Mark Batterson) a great book on prayer (Oh the irony)… I had almost finished when two of my close friends came in to check I was ok (as I dashed off in a bit of a hurry to finish my book…)
I said “I was fine” and really didn’t think there was anything more to say… and then they both asked if they could pray for me.
I said “yes” of course… if there any time that God can touch your life I found it’s best to take it with BOTH hands… anyway.
Jo started praying and she said somethings that God had placed on her heart… and they were accurate and they were full of truth and love and in that moment… I was broken… I started to cry and God started to deal with some stuff in parts of my life that I had just left to sort out themselves.
It was a new chapter… a clean page.
So far this year, one of the memorable moments is what I have been calling ‘The Great Ambush of 2012’… if I hadn’t of rushed away and spent time by myself I wonder if I would have had that moment… I just don’t know.
What I do know is this…
- I have close friends who are honest enough to come to me to check I’m OK…
- I have close friends who are humble enough to ask if they can pray for me and to seek God for me…
- I have friends who are brave enough to say what God has place on their hearts…
- And I have friends who are willing to ambush me… because they don’t want me to miss out on what God had in store for my life.
- New Years: From here we can do ANYTHING! (screaminggoose.wordpress.com)
- Book 2 of 2012: “The Circle Maker” by Mark Batterson (jjsanders.wordpress.com)
- We need a new normal (screaminggoose.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: The Circle Maker (iowaministrynetwork.wordpress.com)