I’ve heard it said a lot that Christianity is soooo narrow minded in it’s thinking.
I’m like, really? Narrow minded? Wow… that’s not something I wouldn’t attribute to being a Christian.
Why you may ask?
Here’s my thinking.
If only good people get to heaven… then what does that look like?
I mean we don’t want rapists and murderers there right?
And what about other religions?
Well lets add their thoughts to the mix too shall we just to make it ‘fair’
In his book ‘The Abolition of Man’ C.S. Lewis studied the teachings that are most common i other faiths (from American Indians and Ancient Greeks to Chinese, Jewish and Christianity). He put the common teachings in one end… and at the other end out popped these 8 common teachings.
- Don’t harm others
- Honour your parents
- Be kind to others (especially the elderly)
- Always be honest
- Don’t lie
- Don’t have sex with another persons spouse.
- Care for the weak
- Put others first
- There is God(s)
- He/they made rules that we need to keep
- they’re too hard
- Stink… try doing good stuff and see if that works
- Good luck with that…
- We’ll get back to you and let you know if you have made it into Heaven or not
- God is God
- He made rules for us to live by
- They were too hard
- We messed up
- God sent his son Jesus to live with us. (Fully God and Fully man)
- Jesus kept the rules, (something no one else could do)
- He kept the law… he declared Gods law good.
- And he took car of the problem in number 4.
Even a criminal on the cross who had nothing good to bargain with (line stolen by A. Stanley)
- EVERYONE is invited
- EVERYONE gets in the same way
- EVERYONE can meet the requirement…